Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Form as Content Gabriel Orozco and Yasumasa Morimura, and others


Ai Weiwei with Sunflower Seeds, 2010
Visitors to the Piece at the Tate Modern

Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Untitled (Portrait of Ross in LA), 1992
"A cross between Karl Marx and Antonio Banderas?" Gabriel Orozco, described by Sarah Thornton

Orozco, Black Kites, 1997
Orozco, There is always one direction
Orozco, "I love making things when they require decision-making," explains ORozco. "When it is simply a reproduction process, there is no need for me to do it." (Quoted in thornton, 30)

"Art  doesn't have to do with good intentions or morals." ORozco, in thornton, 31)

"The outside world is my primary source. mobility becomes part of the work. It's like I need to move out of myself to start" (Orozco in Thornton, 32)

"PERhaps I'm real because I am not playing games in terms of manipulation or cynicism. Perhaps I'm real because I grow from my work." (Orozoco, in Thornton, 34)
http://bombmagazine.org/article/2862/gabriel-orozco
Yayoi Kusama
Yayoi Kusama, One Thousand Boat Show, 1963





Leonardo Drew

"When I get up in the morning I know exactly what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to be working. I don't kn ow exactly what the works are going to be about but they find their way." Leonardo Drew, Art 21

"I had the ability to copy a cartoon directly from the television at a young age. but at the same time, there was no original thought.  
I began to question what I was doing up  against what I had seen and what I had felt. More probably what I had felt." Drew Art 21 

" My ability to draw and paint well was actually getting in the way of me realizing something larger. It's hard to look past something so beautifully done and then ask the question 'what's underneath that. I decided it was time for me to stop using what I did well and said, 'ok you're going to have to learn how to create." Leonardo Drew, Art 21 What then is creating?




what is the job of the artist? do that job to complete your next composition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment